21 July 2007

Turtles


The Green Turtle, or La Turtuga Verde in Spanish, lives in the Ocean, and on the Galapagos Islands of Ecuador.

Hi Robbie!


In answer to your question about turtles in Peru: Yes, there are indeed turtles in Peru and Ecuador! Both countries have sea turtles along the Pacific Ocean coast, and there are at least thirteen different species of river turtles in the Amazon Rainforest, which makes up a large part of Peru, and about a third of Ecuador´s land.


I´ve only spent one evening by the ocean in Lima, Peru, and while I was in the Amazon Rainforest in Ecuador, we didn´t see any turtles. Many of the animals are afraid of people, and are difficult to spot. I was surprised about this, because I thought we would see the jungle animal life everywhere. We did see some monkeys, caiman (they are like small crocodiles), tarantulas (on the lodge floor!), and lots of really beautiful colorful birds.
You can learn more about turtles at National Geographic Kids.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update Uncle Mike. I'm dying to see pictures of the trantulas.
Miss you,
Robbie

Sophie Huot said...

Hey Mikey!

Your trip sounds amazing!

Could you bring me back a turtle or a friendly llama?

No?

I guess the photos will have to do then. I hope you have an exhibit planned for when you get back.

Soapy xoxo